But not having tons of cash to splash about the place I started looking for ways to recreate a similar look for less. And luckily I stumbled across this excellent tutorial by H is for Handmade. I've added my own twist, changing up some of the instructions. And changing the word.
Make your own word charm necklace
You will need2 needle nosed pliers
Gold wire (I got mine here)
2 gold jump rings
Gold chain (22 gage should do the trick nicely)
2. Print or sketch your final word until it looks right and you're happy with the size.
3. Now, pick up your wire, and hold down one end of the wire over the start of your word. And with one of the pliers, start bending the wire so that it follows the line of the writing. This is the fiddliest bit so take your time. At some points you may need the wire to go back over itself. Just squeeze the two sides together as best as you can. Once you've finished bending the wire to fit the writing, cut the end with a wire cutter.
4. Make a snip in the gold chain (about halfway along the chain) using wire cutters. I was trying it out on another word - amo (Italian for I love) - in case you're confused.
5. Use jump rings to attach the writing to the chain (see here for a clear tutorial on how to do that).
6. Take it out for a spin on a hot date with your beloved, or gift away to a grateful friend.