Most of the year, I completely ignore hot chocolate. There’s not much room for it in my life after coffee and peppermint tea. But, I’ll be honest, there’s nothing better then coming back from a chilly November walk and sinking into a creamy batch of warm chocolatey goodness. It’s like a hug in a mug.
So, since I don’t drink it that often it’s important to me to make proper hot chocolate. Made with real chocolate. And I promise you, once you see how easy it is to make proper creamy hot chocolate, you won’t ever go back to using powder.
One of the things I love the most about making hot chocolate this way is all the different flavour combos you can make. I’ve included the how tos for our current three favourites: boozy mocha, chilli & cinnamon, and The Works (with marshmallows and chocolate shavings). But really the possibilities are endless, and you can change up the flavour by using different chocolates, flavours, milks, or liquors. And then basically top the whole thing off with whatever toppings you choose (mini marshmallows for me!).
So, are you converted? Is hot chocolate your favourite winter warmer, or do you have another favourite close to your sweater-covered heart?
Basic Hot Chocolate (serves 2)
You will need
100g (2/3 cups) milk chocolate
450ml (2 cups) skimmed milk
75ml (1/3 cup) single cream
1. In a pan, melt all the chocolate over a medium heat with 150ml (2/3 cup) milk, until all the chocolate has melted. Stir constantly to blend the milk with the chocolate and to avoid the chocolate getting stuck to the bottom of the pan.
2. When all the chocolate has melted, add the rest of the milk and the cream. Continue to heat the mixture until hot, not boiling.
3. If you just want a simple, no frills hot chocolate, then take off the heat when hot and serve.
But… if you’re looking for something a bit different, why not try these alternatives…
Boozy, Mocha Hot Chocolate
1 shot glass of Tia Maria (or other coffee liquor)
1 shot glass of coffee
1. Add the Tia Maria and coffee along with the milk and cream in step 2 above. Serve hot (but do not let the mixture boil).
2. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Chilli & Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
scant 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
sprinkle of crushed dried chilli flakes
1. Add the cinnamon and chilli along with the milk and cream in step 2 above. Serve hot (but do not let the mixture boil).
2. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
handful of marshmallows
1. Follow hot chocolate recipe. When serving top with whipped cream, followed by chocolate shavings and marshmallows.