Am I the only person with a serious weakness for pockets? I just can’t seem to get enough of them these days.
I’ll be honest, when I first started sewing, pockets kinda spoked me a little. But turns out pockets are literally one of the easiest things to sew, and if I had more time (and was a bit friendlier with my seam ripper) you’d find me adding pockets to everything.
And, hey, you know me by now, I’m all about easy and this tutorial has got to be the easiest way to add pockets.
I’ve chosen to show you using the easy maxi skirt pattern, but you could do this for any pattern. Aces, right?
So, are you keen to dip your toe into the wonderful world of pockets? Are you joining in with the merry maxi skirt making? Would love to hear from you.
Happy sewing lovely people!
Sew pockets in just 5 easy steps
You will need:
- stretch fabric (like jersey) for the skirt – 1 1/2 metres should be more than enough
- fabric for the pockets – scrap of 1/2 metre will be plenty
- maxi (or other skirt) pattern
- tailors chalk or pencil
- sewing machine
Make the pockets
1. Start by folding your fabric in half. Draw a half a heart shape along the fold, using your hand as a guide for how big it should be. You can see a photo measuring pockets on this early pocket tutorial.
2. Unfold the fabric. You should have a heart shape (it might be a bit squished – no worries). Cut the heart shape in half.
This is for one pocket so go ahead and repeat once more from Step 1 to get another pocket.
Sew the pieces together
1. If you’re using the easy maxi skirt pattern then you’ll need to add 1 inch at the bottom for a hem.
Be sure that the stretch is running from side to side, across your hips. Cut out the fabric for the skirt.
2. Place the pockets on the skirt with right sides together. The pocket should be facing down and be placed on the fabric (as shown). Sew. Repeat for the other skirt and pocket pieces.
3. Place the two skirt and pocket pieces on top of each other, right sides together. Make sure the pockets are spread out. Sew all the way along the outside of the skirt and pockets.