So as you might have guessed from previous posts – I’m on a bit of a mission to create a capsule wardrobe. Not only that, but I’m aiming to make as much of it as possible.
Am I crazy? Totally. This is 100% bonkers ambitious (and totally crackers considering our little bambino has decided that sleep is for wimps) but I’m just really keen for my makes to really work in the real world.
Maybe it’s a bit self-indulgent to go over my wardrobe – at the end of the day, why should you care what’s hanging in my closet? But I wanted to share with you my progress so far, and ask you for your advice.
Because that’s what friends are for, right? So here’s the progress so far:
My Mission to create the Ultimate Handmade Wardrobe
Lot’s of comfy knits here. I live in all of them. Even the black scuba coco is becoming a firm favourite – even though the black is maybe a bit too serious.
I think I could probably do with one or two more long or 3/4 length knits. Definitely room for a woven t-shirt or two here to get a bit more variety, no? And I totally need to add some colour.
Patterns from left to right are: Hey June union st tee (c/o Indiesew) and Tilly and the Buttons coco (x 2).
Yup. A bit of a poor showing on the bottoms front. Just one pair of trousers and a skirt (yet to be blogged).
I really love the skirt. It’s a bit on the short side, but it works with tights and boots. Sadly, I don’t get much ware out of the trousers. Maybe it’s the colour?
I definitely need more bottoms. I think the next major challenge is going to be jeans of some description. I live in stretchy trousers at the moment and would love to make a pair like these ones from Gap.
Patterns from left to right are: Sew Over it ultimate trousers and Grainline moss skirt.
Totally missing here. Which is such a shame because b.b. (before bambino) I lived in dresses. At the moment, they’re just not practical, but I’m hoping to make a party dress for the Christmas season.
So, what’s next?
- I’ve had my first go at making a shirt (a Grainline archer – post coming soon) and I really enjoyed making it. I’d be well keen to make another. Maybe in a navy print.
- I’d like to add a few more coloured long sleeved knits to the mix. I’m on the look out for some nice jersey in burgundy or pink.
- I’d also be keen to make a few woven tees. Maybe using Grainline’s scout?
- Another few moss skirts are on the cards. I’d like to make one in burgundy and one in some sort of wool or textured material (like corduroy)
- I’d really really like to make a fly front trouser in a stretch chino. I’ve only made one pair of trousers so far, but I do love me a fly front. Does anyone know of any patterns that might work?
- I’m super keen to make a Papercut sigma dress for Christmas parties. I’ve picked up a faux-silk mustard fabric in Italy.
- Then there are a few other dresses I’d like to make (even though I know they’re not going to get much ware!) I’d like to make a knit dress for work and I’m thinking of making a shirt dress, but maybe its too cold out?